top of page


Você está planejando estudar em Portugal e surgiram muitas dúvidas em relação a este assunto?

A NB Portugal responde as dúvidas mais frequentes entre os futuros candidatos ao ensino superior Português.

Confira abaixo:

  • When does the school year start in Portugal?
    The school year starts in September, but in some Portuguese higher education institutions the school year starts in October.
  • Can I start my course at another time of the school year?
    Few institutions start the academic year on a date other than September/October. NB Portugal has protocols with several institutions that offer admission in the month of February (second European semester) only in Lisbon for both undergraduate and master's degrees in some specific areas.
  • When do the application/selection process start?
    Everything will depend on the course and institution chosen, generally the application periods are: Bachelor's Degree – December to August Masters – February to September PhD – February to November
  • How do I apply?
    You must access the website of the chosen institution, on the page of the course of interest, look for the public notice, apply through the institution's portal.
  • What is the difference between University Education and Polytechnic Education?
    University Education University education is guided by a more theoretical didactics, a perspective of research and knowledge, aiming to prepare a solid scientific and cultural preparation, providing a formation that enables the student to exercise professional and cultural activities, promoting the development of design, innovation and critical analysis capabilities. Polytechnic Education Polytechnic education is guided by an applied research and development perspective, a more practical didactic, directing the understanding and solution of concrete problems and aims to provide a solid cultural and technical formation of higher level, where the student develops a critical analysis and scientific knowledge, developing both the theoretical and the practical side and their applications in the exercise of professional activities.
  • Why do Universities have totally different procedures?
    Higher Education Institutions are autonomous, that is, they have their specific conditions for entry and operation of study cycles, study plans, provenance and evaluation regimes, training accreditation, deadlines for issuing academic documentation , change of working hours and regimes or deadlines for responding to requests made etc... Note: Law nº 62/2007, of 10 September, establishes the legal regime for higher education institutions, specifically regulating their constitution, attributions and organization, the functioning and competence of its organs and, also, the supervision and public supervision of the State over them, within the framework of its autonomy.
  • Can higher education students work?
    The good news is, YES! Students can legally work when they are enrolled in a higher education course as long as the work schedule does not interfere with their class period, this is a requirement of the SEF.
  • Can a student regroup the family?
    Yes, if you are studying for a Bachelor's/Master's/PhD, you have the possibility to bring your family to Portugal (husband/wife and children).
  • Does the student need a NIF (tax identification number)?
    Yes, the NIF is one of the most important documents when you come to live in Portugal. The NIF is equivalent to the CPF we have in Brazil. Usually to request the NIF you need a tax representative in Portugal, NB Portugal has partners who work on this and other issues, requesting your NIF even before your arrival in Portugal.
  • Can students open a bank account in Portugal?
    YES! Some higher education institutions have partnerships with some banks, facilitating the opening of a bank account. But for that you need to have the NIF and proof of residence.
  • Is it necessary to obtain a visa to enter Portugal?
    Yes, while still in your country of origin and before traveling, you must apply to the Portuguese embassy for a study visa suitable for your stay in Portugal.
  • What is the difference between a residence visa and a residence permit?
    Residence visa – You apply it before coming to Portugal, it lasts for 4 months. Residence permit – This is the most important document after your arrival in Portugal, you must go to the SEF on a scheduled date to deliver the necessary documentation. All the necessary documentation to apply for your Residence Permit is gathered in Portugal, the AR lasts for 1 year or more. See a brief explanation on NB Portugal's Instagram HERE
  • Can I enter Portugal with a tourist visa and then exchange it for a student visa?
    NB Portugal strongly recommends that students bring the correct visa for the purpose of studying in Portugal. If the student does not have enough time to apply for his/her visa in the country of origin, he/she must contact us so that we can analyze the situation.
  • What is the duration of the Bachelor's and Master's courses?
    Bachelor's Degree – 3 years Integrated Masters – 5 years Master's – 2 years
  • What is Integrated Master?
    The Integrated Master's is a cycle of studies that combines a bachelor's and a master's degree. This means that you enter a degree course and finish the course with a master's degree, which is why it lasts for 5 years.
  • What are the Masters Integrado courses and how do they work?
    From the 2021-2022 academic year, there will only be integrated masters in the following training areas: Architecture and Urbanism Pharmaceutical Sciences Medicine Dental Medicine Veterinary Medicine
  • Study Postgraduate Studies in Portugal
    There are several possibilities to take a Postgraduate course, which lasts 1 year or even less than a year. Courses lasting 1 year or less do not allow the student to work legally and do not allow for family reunification. Therefore, for those who wish to study, work and bring their family, we do not recommend taking a Postgraduate course.
  • Are Technological Courses recognized in Portugal?
    In general, the Technological Courses are not recognized as superior courses in Portugal by some instuons, therefore, the Brazilian holder of this diploma most of the time is not able to enter a master's degree, having to do a new graduation in Portugal. Depending on the area, recognition is granted, allowing the candidate to enter a master's course, contact us to find out more.
  • Can a Brazilian student study Medicine in Portugal? Is it possible to enter Medicine with the ENEM grade?
    No, international candidates are not accepted for medical courses in Portugal. Candidates who intend to enter a medical course must fulfill one of the requirements below: Obtain Portuguese nationality Dual Citizenship of an EU member country Reside legally in Portugal for more than 2 years (without interruption) Obtain the status of equal rights and duties Check out a complete text on how to study medicine in Portugal HERE
  • Can I transfer my course from Brazil to Portugal?
    Actually, it would not be a transfer, but a new entry into higher education in Portugal. First you need to be accepted in a Portuguese higher education institution in the chosen course, after your acceptance, you need to send the documentation from the Brazilian university to the Portuguese university to analyze, the Portuguese university will analyze all the subjects already studied, evaluating if it has content and identical workload. Usually, students manage to achieve less than 50% of the subjects they have already taken.
  • What are the ways to enter a Graduation/Licentiate Degree in Portugal? There are 4 ways to enter for an international student, see below:"
    1. ENEM - The most used form of admission by Brazilian students is through the ENEM grade (grade of the last 3 years), with this the candidate has a great chance of getting admission in a Portuguese institution that offers more attractive values. So far, it is estimated that 50 institutions accept ENEM as a form of admission. 2 - Internal Exam - If you have not taken the ENEM, you can take an internal exam, offered by private universities, where annual fees are usually higher. 3 - Vestibular Grade - Some universities also accept entrance exams given in the last 3 years in Brazil. 4 - Holder of a higher level diploma- If you have higher education (bachelor's/licenciatura), there is the possibility of applying as a holder of a higher degree for a new degree.
  • What are the ways to enter a Masters in Portugal?
    Entry is normally done through the analysis of the candidate's documentation. Required documents vary depending on the university. Generally required: Graduate Diploma; Graduation history. Some universities may request additional documents, such as: CV in europass template; Motivational letter; Letter of recommendation among other documents.
  • Are public universities free?
    No, public education in Portugal is paid.
  • Are private universities more expensive than public ones?
    Not necessarily, there are options for private universities with more attractive prices than public universities.
  • Will I have to pay any application fees?
    Yes, each institution has its value, which varies from 50 euros to 300 euros per application fee.
  • Is the application fee refundable?
    Unfortunately no, if you are not accepted or withdraw from joining the institution, you will not be refunded.
  • What are the tuition fees/annuity to study in Portugal?
    Prices are based on the course and institution of choice. There are options between 1,200 euros per year to 7,000 euros per year.
  • Can I pay the tuition/annuity amount monthly?
    YES! there are some institutions that facilitate the payment of tuition fees, giving students the option of paying in installments. Usually, the student pays this amount (called fees) and receives the admission/acceptance letter, which will be used to apply for the visa in Brazil. At the beginning of classes in September, the student starts paying the tuition/fees.
  • Is there a scholarship for Brazilians?
    The scholarships are not like in Brazil, the student will not have to pay any amount to the university. In Portugal you receive a discount on your tuition/fees. If you don't get this discount in the first year, you can always apply for the scholarships the following year.
  • Are there student accommodation provided by universities?
    Yes, but they are usually used by Portuguese people traveling from other cities. The attractive values and the few vacancies generate a great demand, so usually the Brazilian student does not get these vacancies.
  • How do I find a place to live while I'm studying?
    The private rental market in Portugal has several options, from one bedroom, shared apartment, and private apartment. The lease conditions vary according to the owner, and you should always ask all the questions you consider relevant (contract duration, internet access, amenities and services included). NB Portugal has two private accommodations for its students in Lisbon.

O que você procura?

Veja abaixo qual serviço combina com o que você precisa:


Curso + Instituição de Ensino

Ideal para quem tem dúvidas sobre qual a melhor instituição de ensino e curso escolher! De acordo com o seu perfil acadêmico nossa equipe analisa as suas melhores chances de ingresso.

Passaporte + Visto de Estudos

Para aqueles que precisam de auxílio e acompanhamento do pedido do passaporte e visto para fins de estudo, onde é feito uma reunião e conferência de todos os documentos necessários para garantir a aprovação do visto de estudos.


Candidatura + Matrícula

Para quem deseja fazer a sua candidatura e matrícula em uma instituição de ensino portuguesa,

sem atrasos nos prazos de inscrição

e garantia de ingresso 100%.

bottom of page